SANS White paper:
Point of Sale Systems and Security
Point-of-Sale Security and Store Systems Security
Control Change, Block Advanced Threats, Secure Customers with Bit9 Point-of-Sale Security
Bit9 + Carbon Black’s Point of Sale (POS) and Store Systems security solution continuously monitors and records all activity on POS, store systems, fixed function devices, and corporate endpoints for real-time detection and denial of unauthorized software.
With Bit9 + Carbon Black you can control change, block advanced threats, and secure your customers’ personal and financial information to significantly minimize attack surfaces and comply with key Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS) requirements with less administrative effort and cost than ineffective antivirus tools.
The Bit9 + Carbon Black Solution helps you:
Improve Point of Sale Security – Stop Advanced Threats and Malware
- Create policies so only the software you trust can run on your enterprise systems including POS devices, workstations, fixed-function machines and servers. Prevent everything else from running.
- Detect advanced threats and malware that evade antivirus and other signature-based detection tools with Bit9’s real-time sensors, Advanced Threat Indicators, and cloud-based Software Reputation Service.
- Get advanced device control for thumb drives, CDs, iPods, etc., to ban/approve these portable storage devices from reading, writing and executing at a serial number level. Prevent data leakage and unintentional or intentional direct loading of malware.
- Consolidate your enterprise security stack and eliminate the need for and costs associated with other security software.
Demonstrate Ongoing PCI DSS Compliance
- Build intelligence around all of your file assets, including their prevalence, trust rating, and inherited vulnerabilities. Report on any asset for an audit, a pre-compliance assessment or security intelligence gathering.
- Meet file integrity monitoring and control and audit trail rules with continuous, real-time file monitoring. Protect your critical configuration files from unauthorized changes.
- Enforce your trust policies whether your systems are online or offline.
- Focus only on those events that are relevant to your business and lower the cost of obtaining compliance data.
Extend the Life of Your Systems
- Keep your operating systems in a compliant state after their end-of-life and eliminate
- Financial penalties and brand damage associated with failed audits, data breach, or non-compliance
- The need to upgrade to newer operating systems
- The high costs of extended support contracts and hardware upgrades
- For PCI compliance, deploy Bit9 as a compensating control in lieu of regular operating system patches and updates that are no longer available.
Lower Your Administrative Effort
- Reduce support and IT costs by eliminating frequent patching, scanning and signatures updates required by antivirus and other signature-based detection tools.
- Prevention: Create policies for software that you trust to run on your POS systems, workstations, fixed-function machines and servers, and prevent anything else from running.
- Advanced device control: Ban/approve portable storage devices from reading, writing and executing down to a specific serial number to prevent data leakage and unintentional or intentional direct loading of malware. This includes USB drives, CDs, iPods, etc.
- Complete audit trail: Gain real-time intelligence about all of your file assets, so you can report on any asset for an audit, a pre-compliance assessment, or security intelligence gathering.
- File integrity monitoring: Continuous, real-time file monitoring protects your critical configuration files from unauthorized changes to meet file integrity monitoring and control and audit trail rules.
- Extend the life of your store systems: Free your organization from the hassles of antivirus—no more scanning, signature updates or holiday freezes.
“With Bit9 on all of our servers, we’re sleeping better at night because we know only trusted applications are running on them.”– IT administrator, convenience store chain
 Wall Street Journal, Market Watch, “Cintas Study Finds Two Thirds of U.S. Adults Would Not Return to a Business Where Their Personal Information was Stolen“
SANS White paper:
In The Crosshairs: Point of Sale Systems
Bit9 Security Platform
Case Study Portfolio:
Advanced Threat Protection in Action
Point-of-Sale Security For Dummies